With the boom of the internet and technology, businesses are upgrading their systems and taking on a more digital approach. Moreover, due to the numerous benefits of web development, businesses are looking for technical partners and developers. Whether you’re researching web development or are a beginner in the field looking for new and efficient frameworks, you’ve surely come across ASP.NET. But, is it the best choice for developing web applications for your business? In the following article, we will take a deep dive into the benefits of using ASP.NET for web development.
We will also discuss the different types of ASP.NET versions available and the crucial components of the framework. This will help you get a better overview of the framework and decide whether web development with ASP.NET is appropriate for your business or not. So, what are you waiting for? Jump into this article and get started with learning about the benefits of using ASP.NET for web development to take advantage of it as soon as possible!
ASP.NET – An Overview
In today’s day, the tech industry is crowded by multiple technologies like HTML5, WordPress, Magento, CSS, and more, ASP.NET has proven to be a popular choice for web development. Before we dive deep into the benefits of using ASP.NET for web development, let us look at the framework as a whole.
ASP.NET is an open-source framework and a part of Microsoft’s development technologies that allows web developers to build fully-functional modern web applications, hubs, and services. With ASP.NET, developers can offer connected customers real-time data and content. The server-side web framework was released by Microsoft in the early 2000s and runs on Windows.
With ASP.NET, web developers can easily deploy server scripts and offer a customized user interface without much hassle. It is also the successor of the popular Active Server Pages (ASP) technology and allows developers to easily write functional code in simple text editors. However, when developers talk about ASP.NET, they might be referring to either the .NET core or the .NET framework.
Curious about what the .NET core and .NET framework are? Well, the next section will break it down and help you get a clear idea about it in no time. This will allow you to better understand the concepts and choose one for the development of your web application.
Components Of ASP.NET And .NET
Before we move on to discussing the benefits of using ASP.NET for web development, let us look at the different components. The following section
Components Of The .NET Platform
- As discussed in the above section, the .NET platform supports all major computer OSs and also offers editors and tools that help developers easily develop applications. The most notable components of Microsoft’s .NET framework that help developers build applications easily, are:
- Languages – Other than including different compilers, the .NET platform also includes C#, VB.NET, and J#
- Base Libraries – Contains a set of standard class libraries including the web library that helps developers build web applications
- Editors and Tools – Includes multiple editors and tools compatible with different operating systems available
- Common Language Runtime – Runs on the common language infrastructure which is also a platform and allows developers to perform primary functions like garbage collection and exception handling
Extra Components Of The ASP.NET Framework
Now that we have discussed the main components of the .NET platform, let us look at some of the extra components offered by the ASP.NET framework. These features contribute to the numerous benefits of using ASP.NET for web development and are one of the prime reasons for the framework’s popularity. These include:
- An authentication system – ASP.NET includes libraries, databases, and template pages for user logins to help developers build web applications in less time. You will also find tools for multilayer authentication and external authentication that you can use for social media websites and websites that allow external login.
- Editor Extensions – With features like syntax highlighting, code completion, and much more, developers can now easily write code for development.
- Web pattern libraries – The framework offers developers with several libraries for commonly-used web patterns. Out of these, the most-used library for web patterns is Model View Controller.
- Razor – This refers to the webpage template syntax used by developers to develop dynamic web pages in C#.
- Caching – Computers store pages in temporary locations to help boost the execution of an application and this process is known as caching. With caching, user page requests are retrieved quickly which means responses are sent more efficiently.
Types Of ASP.NET Framework
The ASP.NET framework has a wide range of options that developers can choose from, which is one of the prime reasons for the several benefits of using ASP.NET for web development. However, in this section, we will mention and discuss only the top 3, which are as follows:
The MVC architecture is used to develop the majority of Microsoft technologies including ASP.NET. This is why it is easier for developers to build applications using ASP.NET. Moreover, it ensures a shortened development time while offering enough flexibility to allow users to customize their patterns and behavior.
Developers can easily practice PHP with HTML among others, which is why it is said to be easy to learn. Moreover, web pages can be easily developed using ASP.NET making coding require lesser efforts.
Another advantage of ASP.NET is that it allows users to build small and fast dynamic web applications. Moreover, the framework lets programmers create web forms with lesser coding than the MVC model which ensures programmers have more control over application development.
Benefits Of Using ASP.NET For Web Development
Now that we know about what ASP.NET is and the different components that assist in the development, let us look at the top benefits of using ASP.NET for web development. These are:-
Easy To Use
For developers new to the tech industry, learning technologies and frameworks with a steep learning curve can be difficult. It would also mean that developers would have to put in a lot of effort to solve any problem. When you utilize ASP.NET, you ensure that your development team can easily bring in more developers if required. You would not have to wait for long for them to learn the framework and design an application you like.
To better cater to your users and offer them a great experience, you must choose tools and frameworks with higher processing and rendering speed to ensure they do not hinder your web application development process. But, with ASP.NET, you can deliver a smooth and seamless performance without adding other technologies and integrations.
Another advantage is that ASP.NET does not crash as often as other frameworks. This means that there will be lesser interruptions throughout the development process. Moreover, the code will get more optimized and offer improved performance.
Operable with IoT
With the advent of the Internet Of Things (IoT), more and more businesses are trying to build applications that run on IoT-connected devices. Moreover, with Microsoft’s recent launch of Windows 12’s multiple IoT-compatible editions, developers can easily leverage these technologies to build apps for devices that are connected to IoT.
As discussed, ASP.NET is an open-source framework that allows users to easily edit, review, and contribute to the framework’s code. This also means that developers can easily modify the framework to suit their needs and fulfill development goals. Another advantage is that developers are not forced to use features and functionalities that are simply not required in the end-user application. Since ASP.NET is open-source, it means that developers are not charged for using the framework which further cuts down company costs.
With an extensive library of pre-built controls and components, developers can rapidly develop web applications and deploy them. Moreover, the new versions come with powerful debugging tools that help ensure that the application code is optimized. This means that developers can easily improve website performance and debug problems (if any).
Another advantage is that ASP.NET comes with several security features that help ensure better data protection and maintenance. For example, developers can easily integrate authentication and authorization modules to ensure that your web application is secure and user data is protected.
Since ASP.NET is an open-source framework, it is a highly cost-effective option for web app development. It is not only free to download and install but also does not require any extra hardware/software installation. The standard version comes with a wide range of tools and features that help developers build better applications eliminating the need of purchasing any additional tools.
Continued Support From Microsoft
Since ASP.NET was developed and launched by Microsoft, the company offers extensive support to developers skilled in the framework. Developers can simply log in to their official developer portal, MSDN, and get access to a wide range of guides, blogs, and other resources. Microsoft also offers other services like technical support to help ASP.NET developers clear their doubts and build better applications.
Since ASP.NET is integrated into a Windows server’s environment, web developers do not need to install and configure applications. Moreover, the popularity of the framework makes it easier for developers to find relevant resources and code more efficiently. The framework is open-source, which allows companies to get in touch with an ASP.NET development company to build a customized web application.
Programs built with ASP.NET include a lot of reusable code which allows developers to easily edit, maintain, and debug code as and when required. This means that companies and developers will charge you less for maintenance, which significantly cuts down overall business costs.
Since ASP.NET was developed and maintained by Microsoft, the platform is highly secure and comes with frequent updates to resolve recent issues and bugs.
With ASP.NET’s popularity, your app will surely grow and you will need to scale it with time. Since the platform is highly flexible, you can easily scale your application based on your business needs.
ASP.NET is compatible with several devices and can be easily integrated with other platforms. This means that businesses do not need to invest in getting the app developed on different devices.
From the benefits of using ASP.NET for web development, it is clear that it is a great framework for developing web applications. Not only is it free, but it is also reliable, fast, and easy to use. Interested in getting a customized web application built on ASP.NET? Hire ASP.NET Developers with years of experience and get a dynamic and well-structured web application developed for your business!
Frequently Asked Questions
Since ASP.NET is a completely free framework that allows developers to build web applications, it is highly popular in web development. Read the above article to know more about the benefits of using ASP.NET for web development.
- Network Security: Use strong, unique passwords for devices and Wi-Fi.
- Device Updates: Regularly update firmware to fix vulnerabilities.
- Firewall: Set up a firewall to control incoming/outgoing traffic.
- Encryption: Ensure devices use strong encryption for data transmission.
- Multi-factor Authentication: Enable MFA for added login security.
Although ASP.NET makes the development process easier, you need to be proficient in the language to create a website. We recommend hiring an ASP.NET developer to take the burden off your shoulders!
- 3. What Tools and Frameworks Does Asp.net Offer for Creating Responsive and Mobile-Friendly Websites?
Out of the numerous frameworks and tools offered by ASP.NET, the most commonly-used ones are MVC, Web Pages, and Web Forms. You can read the article above to learn about these in detail.
- 4. What Are the Benefits of Using ASP.NET’s Razor Pages for Creating Web Applications Compared to Traditional MVC?
Some benefits of ASP.NET’s Razor pages over traditional MVC are:
- Automatically included in apps using ASP.NET
- Simple context structure without any controllers
- Quite flexible allowing for greater customization
- Specific codes behind individual codes but better organized
- Developers can easily test web applications with built-in IDE features
- 5. What Advantages Do Developers Gain From Using ASP.NET Alongside Other Microsoft Tools for Development and Deployment?
There are numerous benefits of using ASP.NET for web development that you must consider. We recommend reading the above article thoroughly to understand the reasons behind the platform’s popularity.