Mobile applications are a great way for businesses to reach their customers and bring in more revenue. This is why companies offering mobile app development services are the craze right now. Whether you’re a business owner or an application developer, you’ve surely heard about hybrid apps. But, what exactly are they? Well, the following article helps with exactly that! We will also discuss the top hybrid apps examples that are dominating the current market for better inspiration.
These hybrid app examples will help you figure out the different features your business’ mobile app must have. This will also help facilitate better communication with an app development company. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s jump right into it and help you decide what mobile app design services your business needs!
What Are Hybrid Apps?
Before we jump right into our top hybrid app examples, let us discuss what hybrid apps are.
Another huge advantage is that they look no different than native applications developed specifically for Android or iOS. Although hybrid apps offer a wide range of functionalities, they can also pose challenges. This is why most businesses hire professional app development companies to speed up development and save on costs in the long run.
However, it is important for business owners to know the type of application their business needs. You should at least be clear on the different features you want to include in your application. To help you do that, we have shortlisted the best hybrid app examples that you can draw inspiration from in the following section.
Top 9 Hybrid App Examples For 2023
Before you get in touch with an on-demand app development company, we recommend checking out the best hybrid app examples below.
Undoubtedly, the top hybrid app example, Uber Technologies Inc. operates digitally and reaches customers via its hybrid application. The company’s massive network and technology offer services like food, grocery, mobility business, and other delivery services. Their application is focused on connecting individuals and businesses with service providers. Uber’s revenue comes from food delivery (formerly Uber Eats – 42%), mobility services (formerly Uber Rides – 39%), and Freight Services (approximately 19%).
Uber’s app is one of the best hybrid app examples because
- Native Container – Since Uber’s code is mostly web-based, to ensure they run on mobile devices and are compatible with these platforms, the code is encapsulated within a native container. This helps render the web code and bridge differences between a native app and a hybrid app.
- Platform-Specific APIs – Web technologies do not allow certain functionalities like location which is where platform-specific integration comes in. These are accomplished with the help of the relevant APIs geared toward the platform.
- Distribution To Users – Since Uber is a hybrid app, Uber can be easily distributed to users via the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. You can easily download the app on your mobile device and enjoy an experience similar to native apps.
Want to develop an app like Uber? Get in touch with a professional development company and start today!
One of the top hybrid app examples, Airbnb offers users a digital marketplace for homestays, hotels, and other properties. Users can book short-term or long-term stays as they deem fit. Currently, the application also allows users to book vacation experiences at their preferred locations. But, what is there to learn from Airbnb, one of the top examples of hybrid apps? Let’s look at a few pointers below:
- Native Container – The web-based code of Airbnb is wrapped in a native container called WebView that allows developers to render web content into a mobile application.
- Offline Functions – For better user convenience, Airbnb uses technologies like local storage and cache to store data on local devices and allow users to perform certain functionalities even without internet connectivity.
- App Distribution – Similar to other hybrid apps and native apps, Airbnb is available on both Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Users can easily download the application and use it on their preferred device.
Want to create an app like Airbnb? Get in touch with a professional app development company to get the support you need.
With over 2 billion users, Instagram is one of the best hybrid app examples available in the industry. Run by Meta, Instagram allows users to publish pictures and share them with their network. The platform has completely revolutionized the social media scene and changed the way we lead our lives. But, why is Instagram included in one of the top hybrid mobile app examples? Some common features are:
- User Interface – although Instagram is built using native technologies specific to Android and iOS, some app features and interfaces utilize web technologies.
- Web View – The web view native renders the web-based code within the native app and allows a seamless user experience.
- Other Hybrid Features – Instagram uses a few hybrid features to implement certain interfaces and functionalities. The app’s content recommendation and user algorithms are run on the server side while users view them via the app’s web-based elements.
- Progressive Web App – Although Instagram is mostly accessed by users via their mobile devices, the app has a PWA version. This version is a scaled-down one and offers only the core functionalities.
The cost to develop a social networking app like Instagram? ranges between $30,000 to $2,50,000. We recommend getting in touch with a professional development company for a better price estimate based on your business needs and the features to be included.
As of 2023, Spotify has a user base of over 517.69 million among which 229 million are premium subscribers. Hence, it can be easily considered one of the top music streaming service providers and one of the finest hybrid app examples. The app models hybrid app development in the following ways:
- User Interface – Spotify’s user interface is built with the help of native technologies allowing seamless user experiences on both Android and iOS. This is exactly why Spotify offers optimized performance and easily integrates with other device features.
- WebView Integration – The app uses WebView components with native app features for the seamless view and integration of web-based functionalities. This is why users can consistently browse and interact with the different features
- Progressive Web Apps – Spotify often experiments with its web-based player, but they do not have a dedicated PWA.
- App Distribution – Just like the other hybrid application examples, Spotify is available on Google Play Store and Apple App Store for users to download and install.
A revolutionary over-the-top subscription streaming service, Netflix is one of the top application examples available in today’s market. Although Netflix does not provide a hybrid app design and development, its benefits make it worth a mention. However, another point you need to consider is that Netflix offers a Progressive Web App (PWA), making it similar to the development approach of the other hybrid app examples.
One of the most popular productivity apps, Evernote is also one of the top hybrid app examples available. The best part about the application is its rich design and strong performance which helps offer a seamless user experience. Some features of Evernote are:
- Syncs user notes across a wide range of devices.
- Allows users to share notes and help others they know.
- Offers a scanning feature with camera permissions.
Another famous social media platform, Twitter is one of the top hybrid app examples available. Some common features of the application are:
- Allows users to add and share content with their audience.
- Users can use third-party applications for added usability.
- Integrates photo-sharing features with polls, comments, and much more.
Although a free service offered by Google, Gmail is one of the top hybrid app examples in the industry. Some of its features are:
- Allows better organization of emails under appropriate categories.
- Accessible to users across different devices.
- Offers security from spam messages and offensive senders.
One of the best cross-platform messaging applications, WhatsApp is one of the best hybrid app examples. Other than their prime VoIP services, WhatsApp allows smooth communication between users.
Tips To Create A Successful Hybrid App
Some tips to help you create a successful hybrid app after drawing inspiration from the top hybrid app examples are as follows:-
- Determine your app goals and find out details about your target audience
- Select a reliable hybrid app development framework
- Design an app that runs on a wide variety of operating systems
- Optimize app performance with proper resource usage
- Ensure it works on multiple devices and platforms
We hope the article above helped you understand hybrid app development and provided inspiration from the top hybrid app examples mentioned in the above article. If you’re looking to develop your hybrid app without spending much time, get in touch with a company offering professional app development services.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, Netflix is not a hybrid app but an excellent mobile application. Find more information on Netflix’s development in the above article.
WhatsApp is a hybrid app and you can find more information about it in the above article.
The different types of mobile applications available are:
- Native Apps built specifically for a mobile device’s OS
- Web Apps that behave similarly to native apps but can be accessed via a web browser on one’s mobile device.
- Hybrid Apps that have been further explained in the above article.